View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014   #1006
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

By your definition, yes it is less than ideal. Every team wants that 6-5 230 lb prototype of a qb with a howitzer for an arm...but this is paralysis by analysis.

It's 1 thing to say his mechanics need a little work, its a completely different thing to say that his mechanics are "poor"...i can't agree with you there. When going thru progressions, the head more than anything is what tells you how they're going thru them. Even then you still cant tell sometimes b/c of how routes are stacked...you might have 2-3 guys in the same general area to where he may not have to turn his head much. The feet only really come into play when you're actually getting ready to throw the ball. In that regard, the kid is damn good at that. He almost never throws the ball off balance. So im not sure what you're looking at when you say his footwork is poor.

I also have never agreed with the notion that holding the ball up high in a static position like that is "good mechanics" for throwing a football....It "encourages" good mechanics b/c it helps position the arm to naturally bring the ball over the shoulder and it helps speed up the release, but holding it like that isn't natural in and of itself for throwing a football or any kind ball for that matter. I think that's the reason you dont see more guys in the NFL stick with throwing it like that after they leave college.

Look I'm not denying he's got a list....every kid coming out of college has a list, even the Mannings and Lucks...I just think that you're overplaying your hand a bit. i think his biggest issues are weight and strength which will be easily corrected Once he undertakes and nfl strength and conditioing program. Imo, the hitch you're seeing in his throwing motion is related to his overall strength. It's him "loading up" to generate the power/ velocity he needs to get the ball where it needs to be. Its sort of the same thing you see with young baseball batters when they see a ball they like and try to knock the cover off of it. Instead they either miss the ball completely or foul it off. What's happened is that little extra "umph" they took at the beginning of their swing to generate all that power threw off the timing of their swing. I also think the pro style offense thing is overplayed as well. Mark Sanchez and every other USC qb over the last 8 years played in pro style offense...it means next to nothing on the next level.

Obviously, if BoB thinks any of this stuff is a deal breaker then we'll select another guy...i just think he's the best prospect...
I was a terrible father. My oldest is 6'7", about 300, strong as an ox and has HUGE hands, like 10 1/2 - 11 inches. But he's just a fireman/paramedic because I didn't insist he play QB. His Sargent wants him around because only my son could pick him up with one arm and carry him out of a burning building if required.

Sorry son.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote