Thread: Ideal Scenarios
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
This is the wrong question. The question should be: what are the realistic expectations for next season and can Case achieve this degree of success in the short term?

Evaluating only his college film, how does he compare to this year's QB's?

My understanding is that the big negative on Case is that he didn't work from under center and worked from the spread offense. But this is exactly where the pro game seems to be moving toward. His size was also questioned and his arm strength was questioned. But my understanding is that he was one of the QB's brought in early at Indy to throw to the receivers and had a tired arm when it came time for his own evaluation.

If we can acquire additional picks in 2015, then O'Brien could have all of next year for making a final decision on what level of success Case might eventually acquire. But I do think it probable that O'Brien will want to take a QB in this year's draft.

I'm with 76Texan in that this coming season is going to be interesting.
Evaluate only his college film? Why go to the college tape? Why not just evaluate all of the QB's by their pop warner film? You have pro film on Case. He has a decent arm but is terrible when blitzed (he tends not to make the right reads). To say he didn't have any weapons is inaccurate. There was enough talent around him for him to throw for 7 TDs 0 INTs while completing 55% of his passes for 772 yards in his first three games against KC, IND and ARI (two pretty good defenses).

After that Jax 2 times, NE, OAK and IND held him to 2 TDs, 6 INTs and he only got over 55% completion ratio once. Once teams got film on him he was terrible. If you need more evidence, in the second half of those first three games he threw one TD (to AJ) in the second half.

I'm not going to tell you that he can't be a decent QB but he isn't a franchise QB. Simply put, in today's NFL I want more development from my QB than I have had from Case in 2 years.

Sure I don't want to spend resources on a QB if there isn't one available and I am a big proponent of trading back but you have to at least try to address the QB position this season. I wanted to see what Case could do last year and even if your goal isn't the playoffs this year, the moment a QB self eliminates himself from the future you should be taking a flyer on another QB instead of wasting resources on a guy that has shown he isn't the guy. Take a guy in the 3rd or 4th, I don't care, but don't limp out there with a guy that isn't good enough to be a stop gap and most likely peaked in his first 3 games in the NFL.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote