Thread: Ideal Scenarios
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not Allstar but...

Our defense was not that bad except in terms of forcing turnovers and performing in the red zone. So I'm not buying that it needs that many "fixes" despite what a lot of people may think.

We can go with KJ, JJo, Danieal, and Swearinger and hopefully bring along some young talent. Hopefully, a change in scheme will make some of the depth guys better or we'll have to get some more depth guys (Harris, Keo, Buoye, Pleasant, etc.)

Our outside guys are not great. Hopefully, we can nab someone like a Worilds in free agency, draft a guy to replace Reed or Mercilus, OR one of those guys (including Trevardo Williams) develops.

Our inside backers... well... see... we've got Cushing and then we've got depth. We need another starter there, afaic.

We need a big guy in the middle and we may need to swap out our current crop of DEs for two gappers.

But the responsibilities of the front 7 might change dramatically. Yes, Crennel has been known to favor a more classic 3-4 but he's also implemented a 4-3. I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths.
I'm not quite as satisfied with our defensive backs. I saw too many deep balls being given up. But I do agree that fixing our pass rush may help alleviate this problem. And maybe new coaching might help the cover skills.

I agree that the players named form a good core to bring back. I still think we need at least one safety and one CB.

We need an OLB and an ILB. Maybe Reed moves inside.

And I agree, the big hole we need to address is the big guy in the middle of the DL.

But I think you overlooked replacing Antonio Smith. Do you expect him back? Maybe Crick replaces him, but I think we still need another player here.

So I've got six holes that need addressing, at a minimum. Some of these may be addressed in free agency, as you say. I don't think we are that much in disagreement.

It's just that I'd address these with quality draft picks. By that, I mean taken in the first three rounds. Maybe the forth. But this is more holes than we have picks to fill.

So when you write, "... I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths...", I'm in total agreement.

I'm just thinking that two quality draft picks doesn't do it.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote