View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014   #408
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm normally a sun-shiner and by the time the draft rolls around, I'm sure I'll be looking for the bright side of everything.

But.

The Miami Dolphins went 1-15 and then the next year (playing a last place schedule), they went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. And a couple more years of <50% winning after that and the coach was fired and they were trying again.

The Chiefs and the Eagles haven't shown that they can sustain this winning, yet. They may be back to bottom-feeding next year.

Most teams since 1990 or so that have 2 win seasons and change coaches improve to a 6 win season.

So that's what I consider a realistic expectation. I'm hoping for more and I'll be cheering the team on. But that's my expectation.
Thought I would flesh this out a bit with a couple years prior and three after. Numbers are wins:

Carolina: 12, 8, 2, 6, 7, 12
Detroit: 7, 0, 2, 6, 10, 4
KC: 9, 4, 2, 4, 10, 7 - extra, 2, 11
St. Louis: 8, 3, 2, 1, 7, 2 - extra, 7, 7
Oakland: 5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 5
Houston: 5, 7, 2, 6, 8, 8
San Fran: 10, 7, 2, 4, 7, 5

Houston Rd. 2: 10, 12, 2, ?

KC this time is an aberration. One thing does stand out though, Houston's drop was also an aberration. Only Carolina comes even moderately close. On average teams dropped 2.7 wins to get to 2. Houston dropped 10. On average teams gained 2.4 wins after being at 2.

I don't expect a KC turnaround but I do expect a bigger than normal bounce back because for the Texans it actually is a bounce back.