Thread: Blake Bortles
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014   #286
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
So, what's actually wrong with the argument that there's nobody worth the 1:1?

There is no consensus "lock" in this draft according to many. If Bob / Smith / BoB can deal backwards and pick up some depth, many would be hard pressed to say it was unwarranted.

So yeah, taking a guy at 1:1 if you can trade back to 1:4 and still get him is a wasted chance.

Lord knows I'm not betting on the Texans brain-trust to wow me with trades though.
The problem with the idea that there's no one worth 1-1 is that you've got to take someone. If no one wants to trade with you, then you've either got to give something up to induce someone to take it off your hands or you have to make a decision.

The problem is thinking that 1-1 has to be the best player in the draft and has to be the second coming of Peyton Manning. 1-1 has to be the player you think can make the biggest impact with your team that you're not going to be able to take at your next draft pick.

If a middle linebacker is the guy who's going to make the biggest impact and he's not going to be there at your next pick and no one wants to trade with you, then you take that guy with 1-1. If it's a guard or a safety, then you take that guy.

This whole argument that you don't take rush linebackers or you don't take right tackles doesn't work for me although I know a lot of people ascribe to that philosophy.

You make a decision and you roll the dice. (Assuming, like I said, you can't trade and end up in a better position.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote