View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014   #90
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Bob McNair open to trading No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Also, as much as I love defense, this seems to be a league where you MUST have a good QB. A GREAT QB masks all kinds of problems in other areas. So, if you're in a position to get the QB you want, do it.
What if they aren't in a position to get a great QB? What if they're in position to get an Alex Smith or Matt Schaub caliber QB at #1? What if TB, Bortles, Manziel, and whoever else end up being the next wave of Locker, Tannehill, Ponder, Gabbert, Freeman, Geno Smith, and Dalton?

Titans took Jake Locker at #8 in 2011, for example. They probably felt like he could be the QB of the future. Think they would redraft that way now? They could have taken the defensive guy at #11 that year. In 2010, the Rams took Sam Bradford #1 overall. This might be our best history lesson, actually. Bradford has been good enough that you can't really call him a bust, but was he worth the #1 pick overall? I'm sure there's someone who was taken shortly thereafter that would have helped more.

I understand the sentiment to grab the next franchise QB. I want that too. But if he isn't there, don't force it. Ending up with a bust wouldn't be the worst result. The worst result would be ending up with the guy that you're always wondering about. Is he good enough? Is it the OL? Is it the coaching? Scheme? Maybe if we get him more weapons? Blah.