View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien - Offensive Scheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Got any documentation to back that up ? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just that I was unsuccessful in finding any definitive explanation of the Hawkeyes offense being operated with a preference for either a Power or a Zone Blocking scheme.
Not sure why you can't find anything. "Kirk Ferentz Iowa zone blocking" came up with a bunch.

These are from wiki:

Quote:
The University of Iowa under head coach Kirk Ferentz, a former NFL offensive line coach, utilizes zone blocking and the inside/outside stretch play as the basis for their offense.
Maybe I undersold him as a disciple:

Quote:
The concept of Zone blocking in both the run and pass game was created by Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. However, this blocking scheme came to prominence when used by the Denver Broncos, under offensive line coach Alex Gibbs (formerly the offensive line coach for the Seattle Seahawks), and head coach Mike Shanahan.
Kirk Ferentz was Belichick's OL coach the last 3 seasons in Cleveland.