View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014   #1037
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Very true. As much as I wanted Kubiak gone, I tried to be fair about it, and not judge him based on nonsense like not looking at field goals, his colorful playbook (which damn-near every coach has) and his boring press conferences.
If you've ever been in a relationship that is well past it's prime, even the little innocuous things tend to get on your nerves.

I think these Kubiak tendencies were those little things that people would focus on because they did not like the head coach.

I'm not defending it as much as I'm trying to explain it.

I found the whole Denny's menu thing to be more humor than any real legitimate criticism. Sometimes, though, my perception was that it seemed like a bit of a crutch, sort of a way to bury his face in it instead of ruling the sidelines like other head coaches. Kubiak sometimes stared a hole through it like the answers to a particular problem would magically jump out at him (and I think this tendency is from years of being an offensive coordinator where their minds are buried in the playbook for entire games).

I could not care less about boring press conferences, although I do like those coaches that break down plays and strategies after games. Mainly to be educated about the game and schemes for my own enjoyment. But I do not criticize a coach for being mundane with the press.

The field goal thing was just a weird little quirk. I never understood it, but I never felt like it reflected on him as a coach. Some would argue it's a nervous thing. As long as he's not closing his eyes when he shoots a weapon.