View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014   #1034
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Friedgen on O'Brien relating to players

Quote:
Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien has had several coaching mentors throughout his career. One of them is Ralph Friedgen, the former Maryland coach who first presided over O'Brien when both were at Georgia Tech...
Friedgen hired O'Brien as a running backs coach and then tried to hire him as his offensive coordinator at Maryland.
"I think he’s blatantly honest with them," Friedgen said. "...We’re a lot alike in that way. I’m an emotional guy, he’s an emotional guy. He’ll tell you how he feels. You’ll see him get very angry, you’ll also see him get quiet. I think what happens is people can trust him. I think it wasn’t an easy decision for him to leave now. I think he could have done it last year. But because of the commitment the players made there and the commitment he made to the players (he stayed)."
He also noted, as others have, that O'Brien's strength is working with quarterbacks.

"If they draft a quarterback, I think they will, he’ll get excellent guidance," he said. "He’s not the coordinator, he’s the head coach but he’ll have an impact on that. He’ll hire somebody that’s going to be thinking the same way he does. ... You’ve gotta have a quarterback or you won’t win."

Eric SanInocencio ‏@EricSan
Quote:
Interesting note. Both Bill O'Brien and @BuffaloBills coach Doug Marone were on same Georgia Tech staff in late 90s: http://bit.ly/1gC6m05
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote