View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014   #39
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cutler Signs 7 year deal (Chicago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's a one year deal.

If he doesn't prove worthy to keep beyond 2014, they can cut him & not pay him a dime, not have any dead money on the books. Unless that salary for 2015 is truly guaranteed. I know they said "guaranteed" but it's funny how they sometimes mean "guaranteed." Maybe they're saying guaranteed in case of injury. But with his history, I don't know why they would do that. Guaranteed as in if he makes the day 1 roster, he gets paid. But they can release him prior to day 1 if they want to save money.

If his salaries for year 2 & 3 are truly guaranteed (& the Bears are on the hook for that money if he were cut) that would be a very unique contract. I was thinking Cutler was going to have to sign a one year deal to prove to his next team that he was worthy of a long term contract. This, is basically the same, but better. He's already got very good compensation for years 2 & 3 already negotiated.
Have you read anything specific to Cutler's deal that would support that statement? If not, then it's contract where the first 54m is guaranteed.