View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014   #1025
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

I'd lose a little respect for O'Brien if he came in and kept any part of status quo.

New head coaches hire "their guys" for a number of reasons. I'd imagine the primary reason is to get a staff that can implement the head coach's schemes on both sides of the ball.

And there is the matter of trust, especially during crucial situations in games. Coordinators get a bit of autonomy, so there has to be a foundation of trust in the way an assistant coach is going to adjust to what the other team is doing and how that assistant is going to react when the pressure of the moment is on and the game is on the line.

And just basic stuff like compatibility in the daily grind is important when they spend so much time together. Chemistry starts at the top, with the coaches, and we've see the oil and water mix in Houston before. Having two warring factions within a team is never good for business.

I'm a little curious why Rick Smith, the general manager, did not fire the previous staff. It seems like making the new guy do all the dirty work, but then again, maybe that is the established power structure on Kirby. They want a strong head coach.