View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014   #1017
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I understand trashcanning the staff responsible for a 2-14 season. That's to be expected. My question is why? Because he didn't think any of them could do the job?
Fair enough.
But if O'Brien fired them all so he can bring in his own set of buddies (like Kubiak did) without looking around the league, or in the college ranks, to see who might be BETTER than his buddies at each position, well, this sounds eeriely like the way things unfolded with Kubiak and with Capers before him...

....we just left that movie didn't we? I thought this was supposed to be different.

I got "excited" with Kubiak before all the results were in. Not doing that with O'Brien.

Like you say, we'll all find out together.
I think it's an unrealistic expectation for it to be different. Sure, a lot of people whined and moaned about the "good old boy" network with Kubiak hiring guys he knew and had worked with before, but almost every coach out there does the same thing.

Occasionally, you get a situation like Dungy had coming to the Colts and Gruden had coming to the Buccs where the HC is coming in and part of the team is already solid. Like Kiffen as DC in Tampa Bay or Moore as the OC with the Colts. In those cases, the Coach will leave that side of the ball alone.

Situations like they had in Dallas where Jerry hired Garrett as the OC before hiring Wade as the HC are very rare. Normally a head coach chooses his staff. And normally that HC chooses guys he knows and trusts to do a good job.

It's only a "bad" thing if it doesn't work out.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote