View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014   #1007
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Those obsessed with cursing are usually linguistically and verbally challenged. Most respectable folk grow out of this phase shortly after Junior High.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's not true.

Of course, it depends on how you define "respectable."
Of course it's not true. Pope Marshall has a tendency to wear "1950's era rose colored glasses".

But, far be it for the truth to remove those glasses:

Top Profanity in POTUS History

Turns out GW Bush loves the "f word". I think it's the most versatile of cuss words myself, being used as a noun, verb, adjective, etc., and it rhymes with so many other words that it's great for heavy metal and blues!

Quote:
Before he even got into office, Bush’s profane tendencies were on display. In 1999, during an interview with Tucker Carlson for Talk Magazine, George W. Bush dropped the F-bomb several times.
Turns out Mark Twain - you know, the American literary icon - LOVED to cuss. Had a special room just to do it in, too.

But my fav is Harry Truman. One of the last truly great presidents:

Quote:
Give-‘em-hell Harry Truman loved to cuss. It was part of his tell-it-like-it-is, man-of-the-people appeal.

"I never did give them hell,” he said. “I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."

During a 1960 presidential debate, Kennedy demurred when asked about whether Truman should apologize for nasty things he said about Nixon and Eisenhower.

“They are not my style, but I really don't think there's anything that I could say to President Truman that's going to cause him, at the age of 76, to change his particular speaking manner,” Kennedy said. “Perhaps Mrs. Truman can, but I don't think I can.”

Truman’s language became increasingly unvarnished after he left the White House in 1953.
But hey, only "respectable folk" grow out of it.

[/thread hijack]