View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014   #49
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill O'Brien "type" players on our roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Not my point. My point was that the guy isn't really accomplished
at all.

A KC-Reid type of hire would have been more like offering the
Texans job to Smith or Wisenhunt. An actual NFL coach with
actual Superbowl experience.

Not hiring some guy out of the college ranks with 2 years of
experience and no conference titles.

If you were going to hire a college coach, it should have been
someone innovative (like Chip Kelly, etc.. Sumlin, Briles, Mahlzan)
I can`t really comment too much on O`Brien because I don`t follow college football - but I think the team wanted to go young and fresh to get a coach that can form a team that can win in this "new" NFL - a passing league, fast game, major limitations to defense, mobile QB... Lovie Smith is a great coach, but one of the "old days". I am sure he will do great things in Tampa and maybe he would`ve been the better choice, but he won`t modernize the team and the system.

Wisenhunt had a great season and really bad ones. In his great season he had a great QB. I think a lot more people would`ve hated that signing than people hate the O`Brien signing.

And about the innovative college QBs - that can pretty fast turn into a gimmicky strategy that other teams figure out and render useless pretty fast. I don`t think McNair was ready to go all that way.

Basically we have a hard nosed coach that both excelled in a great and in a horrible situation. A guy that has a history of being a great QB developer, that loves the game and that doesn`t take bull**** from anyone. It remains to be seen if he can be a great HC in the NFL, but I totally understand the direction McNair is going here. And most analysts seem to think, we got the prize of available coaches...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote