View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games still not sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think in addition to the monetary commitment, especially when considering season tickets, is the time commitment.

I mean, between commuting, parking, tailgating, and traffic on the way out, you are talking about your entire Sunday. And if it's a late game, that is going to likely bleed into Monday due to lack of sleep.

I have a close relative who is a (well off) business owner and has contemplated season tickets for the past couple of seasons. He can afford it as far as the pocketbook goes, but he can't seem to muster the time commitment of it.

So, even if you can get past the huge expense this hobby is, time might not permit.

I don't imagine this is something that is going to get any easier for the NFL.
I agree completely.

Two factors in my decision to give up my season ticket was money and time. My baby girl was about to be born, so obviously funds were tight. But even more important to me, between leaving my wife with two kids for entire Sundays (like disaacks3 mentioned, depart early morning and then getting home in the evening completely worn out), and then just being gone for half the season as my youngest son was just becoming a huge football fan, it was pretty much a no brainer decision.

My wife would have supported my addiction if I had kept going, but I kind of felt like I was missing out on something special at home. I have no doubt that I will have a season ticket again in the future, once the kids have grown up and left the nest. But until then, they both sit on my lap during Texans games, and I would not trade this time for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I hear this refrain all the time and it doesn't match what I see. Sacks are not down a bit. QBs are still getting hit a lot. Check out how many QB's get hurt in a season. Just look at JJ and the most protected QB in the league in their last game. JJ planted Manning several times with no flag.
I understand where eriadoc is coming from, but I tend to agree with 'cak.

yeah, there's a "perception is reality" thing going on, where it seems like refs are quick to throw the flag for QBs in the pocket.

However, that said, QBs are just as prone to getting the snot knocked out of them if they keep the ball to long or leave that pocket.

Case in point was Aaron Rodgers injury on MNF. Check out this play. Brutal hit, completely legal, and I do not hear anyone advocating changing the rules to prevent it:

Aaron Rodgers leaves 'MNF' with shoulder injury

I think it's a balancing act by the NFL. They have to contend with past and future lawsuits by the very people who play the sport, while also appeasing many different parts of their fanbase: those that want it safer, those that want exciting games (i.e. high scores with star players), and those that want it old school football. Do all this while still filling seats and selling advertisement.