View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games still not sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep, players all admit to the inherent dangers and willingly accept those risks.

I think rules are also changing to protect the commodities that fans pay to see: starting caliber QBs.

And let's face it, the NFL has always been evolving toward a passing dominant league. Anyone that denies the on-going trend is ignoring the rather obvious history of the league for the past century.

Scoring puts butts in the seats and players that do it sell merchandise. It's basic business strategy stuff, but some folks would rather live in an illusion/delusion about so-called "integrity of the game".

Would people really watch this game if it was still "three downs and a cloud of dust", circa 1906? Talk about a boring sport.
I think that editorial I linked in another thread worded it the way I can most identify with. I don't have a particular problem with scoring or passing. I don't even care that the record books are being completely reshaped, really. But when there is no real risk for a passer/offense, then it basically becomes a video game. The offense just does what it wants. There needs to be a chance that the offense can fail, and when they do fail, there needs to be a consequence other than an incomplete pass. Left to its own devices, the game actually accounts for that. But the NFL goes in and makes it so QBs almost literally cannot be hit. And there will come a day when they are redshirted. Hell, redshirts in practice get hit with more impunity, to be honest.

When a QB that looks like he's going out of bounds can throw the ball but cannot be hit, the defense is completely neutered. The playing field is not only unlevel, but gone. That's just one example of a real play, but it won't be the last.