View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014   #205
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I do, it is usually part of the game plan to help disrupt a player. Without a RB/FB helping out the damage could be much worse.
Well, I don't. Double-teams are designed to pick up a player once the ball is snapped. With Clowney, you usually see it with the OT being helped by the TE or Guard. The RB is more of a second line of defense, in case a protection breaks down. He's often on the side where the defense has the most potential rushers in order to mitigate the pressure on the QB. Clowney getting to the RB level is a positive of course, because he's the first to get there, but I wouldn't consider it a "double-team" unless the RB specifically goes to him at the snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I distinguishee between the to in my post; the puropose in the game (or at least the UNC game, but I've seen it occur in others) is not to take Clowney of out a play entirely but to just slow him down. If he were to play for us, he wouldn't be playing opposite Kelcy Quarles and Will Sutton (who have certainly taken advantage of all the attention Clowney receives and gotten sacks with all the single blocking they get) but JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus.
Yeah, I appreciate your work on that and making the distinctions, I'm just asking out of curiosity. People often say things like "Clowney is constantly double-teamed" or something to that effect, and I don't really think it's true, or even close to being true, but that's how the hype builds. I see the same sort of exaggeration about Watt around here too, so it's not really anything new, I just think it's people using a bit of hyperbole due to excitement. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think that UNC game was a good example of this. In the first half you saw a lot of Clowney getting by the OT 1v1 and making some QB pressures, so you get a lot of RB chips or cut blocks. You also see some double-teams by the guard or TE. Then in the second half, UNC adjusted their scheme and decided to just run to the opposite side of the field, or have the QB roll that direction away from Clowney's pressure, or do quick throws on a 3step drop. That was their way of taking him out of many plays, but he was still able to make some plays. By doing so, they avoid wasting a second player blocking Clowney. So while he wasn't getting double-teamed much in the 2nd half, you could see how his performance in the 1st half dictated the adjustments of UNC. That's one hell of a disruptive player for sure.

That being said, he's only worth taking 1.1 if he fits the scheme. If our Defense moves to a 4-3, I'd have no problem making him the RE across from Watt, that to me is a slam-dunk pair of DEs for the future. If we move to a traditional 3-4, then I'm a bit concerned about how he would do at OLB. Putting him on Watt's side means that teams will just need to scheme the opposite direction. Putting him at WOLB means we would need to shift someone else into coverage on their TE if he's on that side. Making him a 3-4 RDE might work, but I don't know if he would fair well in that position. He'd probably do well, but man that's a lot of resources to have in both DEs of a 3-4.