View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014   #827
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not that worried about what Penn State people are like right now. The way I see it that's a seriously confused bunch of folks up there and I even sort of understand why. The runaway cult of JoePa is the fault of the school and the people who got fired and charged with crimes were the ones who should have been fired and charged with crimes. The average lifelong Penn State fan who's still clinging to legend I feel mostly sorry for (but really want no part of).

They've got a warped sense of perspective because they were fed the fairy tale for so long and bought into it. Think about that guys longevity for a moment. 44 years the head coach and figurehead of that school is amazing. 409 wins (before many were vacated) and a pair of national championships. If you wanted to sell the fans of a college football team a fairy tale you would have a hard time doing better than that.

Then in a relatively short time they find out that what they could see and what they'd been told was in stark contrast to what the man had failed to do when the time came to "walk the walk".

I think those long time Penn State fans are going to be screwed up about the Joe Paterno myth for a long, long time. They're very similar to Alabama fans and their attachment to Bear Bryant but the scandal seems to have twisted their attachment to JoePa all out of perspective.

Getting back to the topic O'Brien is fortunate to be getting out of there and I think he knows it. Coaches who followed Bear Bryant at Alabama walked into a losing situation for decades. Coaches who follow Paterno are in the same boat but the boat is full of crazy people without life jackets.
Those folks can't see the forest from the trees . They let a pedophile run free because it was more important to keep up an image . I would have cloroxed that whole place twice then burnt it down .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote