View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014   #775
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it does and doesnt. that reads like a belichick description over the last few years, with and without o'brien. i'm more interested in more specific similarities he took from the patriots to penn state (whom i didnt watch at all). are there formations or route combinations or reads he favors? personnel packages (such as 2 TE) that he uses more than others, and how does he use them? "ace" packages or stacked or slot TE? shotgun or under center? max protect or bootleg or spread or mix? TE's like aaron hernandez in the backfield or schematically rotating runningbacks or is a feature like run/pass blocking mandatory?
Here is a great article with lots of insight to the Patriots offensive scheme.

I'm not sure how much O'Brien influenced it, but I hope he brings this mindset and attitude with him to Houston.

Quote:
Speak My Language

As the players and schemes have changed, it's the way the Patriots talk that's continued their offensive dominance

But what's allowed New England to maintain its success among the shifts is that its quarterback and coach aren't the only things that have remained the same. The core of the Patriots' offensive system has been threaded through its various stages, both stabilizing the transitions and allowing the next evolution. The design and organization of New England's system is better suited than any other to adapt to an NFL game in which change of personnel, of trends, of schemes is the only certainty.

Full article
It's a long article (which is a good thing to me) that really gives you some deep insight into how the Patriots run their offense. It allows a lot more flexibility and adjustments during the game, and is not rigid in its application.

I think it's brilliant, and certainly a new way of doing things than what we've seen for the past 8 years.