Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014   #1216
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm not worried about his style too much. I think that can be coached down enough. IMO People are under estimating his pocket ability because he makes such big plays outside the pocket. And too many people want to label him a running QB in a negative way. He is top 4 in just about every passing category playing in a tough conference.
Harrell/Simmons/Cumbie/Kingsbury topped tons of passing categories as well. So did Florence/Petty. The offense gives you that ability. There are some subtle differences between the A&M/Baylor/Tech offenses, but when you drop back to pass 40-50 times every game, you're going to lead the country in plenty of passing categories.

And coaching down his most effective quality is not something I want to hear when drafting a QB. He has improved his pocket passing, but he still bails the pocket early and puts his blockers in tough spots. How many times does he have a clean pocket and he bails out, runs around, and then puts it up to a WR. That just doesn't work in the NFL where the defensive players are just as talented and athletic as you and your teammates.

- The Immortal Bo