Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014   #1208
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Manziel is changing my mind a little bit. I still don't want to draft him, but not for the same reasons.

His skill set is exciting as hell. But it's also not sustainable at the NFL level. It just isn't. The #1 reason I don't want him on the Texans is because he will have to change his style of play to adjust to the pro level. And that scares me. I don't like evaluating him as an elite prospect based on skills that will have to be altered for him to succeed long term in the NFL.

There is now no doubt in my mind that Manziel could be a star in the NFL for three or four years before he gets worn down and is forced to alter his style of play. But is that small window worth the #1 pick?

I would just prefer that someone else take the risk. No QB has ever been successful in the NFL long term by playing the way he does. He's too reliant on his legs. He can either play that way and be great for a short time or he can change it and risk losing what makes him special.

I'm not saying he can't be a successful NFL QB. I'm just saying that he needs a ton of work and I would rather another franchise take the risk.
+1

There is no doubt that Manziel is a helluva college football player. I just feel uneasy about his style (havoc?) working well in the NFL. I am not saying I would not take him, just that I would feel more comfortable with a more traditional talent.