View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014   #727
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Firstly let me say I'm 100% on board and behind Bill O'Brien as our new Head Coach. Everything I've read and YouTube'd paints a man with drive, passion for the game and innovative ideas.

That leads me to ask about this: If "our roster has been lacking (intelligence) over the years" does that mean we don't have players smart enough to adapt to O'B's 'think on the run' offense? If that's the case, how many seasons/drafts does it take to get these scholars? That in and of itself doesn't ring well with me personally. I hope he can come in and make lemonade mucho pronto. (I hope this comes across in the spirit it's intended)

Hanging in the back of my mind as well is the "fiery, in your face", take no prisoners (my metaphor) attitude. It's been discussed on this board even regarding that MO not flying in the NFL. Schiano found that out post haste. Several folks here have mentioned the ass eating he gave Brady on the sideline and I guess that's cool. On occasion. I've read of him being a "bow hard hothead" on more than one occasion. Granted, some of those were probably monkey hurt PSU supporters who can't let go. My concern I suppose is how tempered is he with coming uncorked or does he fly off the handle because someone brings him coffee that's not the way he wants it.

Not bashing here but I think it's a legitimate question. Other opinions?
When I say that Houston has seemed to be short players at times with intelligence I guess what I'm trying to get across is that time and time again we've seen Texans players do just absolutely stupid stuff and put the team in a bad place. Things like extending opponents drives after getting a stop or killing their own drives with penalties for example. Failing to run the route correctly at times. Just "mistakes". Now I guess some of this is discipline but sometimes it's happened so often that I've wondered if the fool (of that particular moment) even understands what his job is on that play. Guys who can't keep it together and aren't mature enough to play smart instead of retaliating. That kind of thing.

When I watch bad teams play I see this kind of thing a lot. I'm sure many of you do too. When I saw the Texans play, even during the last two seasons when we were winning I still saw lots of this crap.

I just wonder if that's going to improve under O'Brien be it through greater discipline, better teaching, or pursuing a better grade of player with a higher IQ.