View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014   #87
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I am being real, some head coaches search out the best and brightest for their staff and other head coaches reward their friends and their recommendations. NFL coaching is not like any other job, there are only 32 NFL Head Coaches. If NFL coaching is like any other job so is commanding an USN aircraft carrier.
I coach at the middle and high school level... While that certainly doesn't qualify me to speak to NFL coaching, here's what I know: coaching, particularly in football, is a highly collaborative effort. Any lack of trust, understanding, agreement amongst the staff at fundamental levels makes the team weaker. Also, as the level of competition increases (from middle to high school, for instance), the importance of collaboration also increases significantly.

I don't think hiring coaching "friends" is about favoritism, weakness, or anything of the sort. Instead, it is about bringing together the best collection of collaborative partners possible. This is a good thing and an important part of staff-building... It is also the reason why I have been opposed to Cowher as the Texans' new head coach- I think he's been away from the game for too long to quickly unite a collaborative group of coaches that could quickly win.