Originally Posted by LikeMike
This is a very risky proposition. There are several things that could go wrong here:
1. Draft position - who knows where we end up drafting next season. Luck/RG3 types typically go in the top 3 - everything lower than that means there are some questionmarks.
2. No prospect is a lock. This year we can take who we like most. It is not a guarantee that he pans out, but there also is no guarantee that any one of next years QB pans out. There always are several QBs that scouts and fans love that just doesn`t make it in the NFL. Difference is, we can take any one we like this year, we won`t have that luxury next year.
We basically have the chance to take the highest rated QB this year - or hope that anyone worth a damn will be available when we pick next year. And history shows, that no sure thing will be available lower than #3 (How many later QBs pan out? For every Roethlisberger and Wilson there are 20 Gabberts and Leinarts).
I could understand this discussion if a clear top prospect was available. But there are so many questionmarks around Clowney and everybody else just seem like top5-top10 talents, but not even top 3 talents.
So, if it was really like "wait a year and you get a real franchise QB" IŽd be all for it. But the reality is, if there is one or even two QBs like that in next years draft we won`t be in a position to draft them or have to draft about our whole other picks to get him (remember what it took to get RG3). So, let`s hope we luck out with Bridgewater or whoever we rate highest.
1. The Texans should finish with a top 10-15 pick. I mean they did finish 2-14 for a reason. They aren't going to magically go 12-4 even if they pick Bridgewater.
2. There are 4 QB's that I like more than Bridgewater coming out next yr. Winston/Petty/Hogan/Mariota. If the Texans are picking say 12th, it wont cost as much as you think to trade up to the 5-7 range. I've already stated this in another thread or maybe it is in this thread.
3. I do consider Clowney to be a generational type talent. Sure he needs to go to driving school and didn't put up the stats that he did last yr. Probably because he knew he would've been the top pick last yr and was surely going to be a top 5 pick this yr. He didn't want to get Lattimored. I dont blame him.