View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013   #440
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I've thought that Teddy B would be the best QB in this draft class since his bowl game last season. I like the way he throws the ball, uses the pocket, and his ball placement.

That throw is more akin to Manziel than it is to Bridgewater, and at the college level sure it works. But if your QB's mechanics break down like that, then that is not a good pass, and for what it's worth his mechanics look awful in that one particular throw. All of the other highlights I'm perfectly fine with and are great throws at the college and NFL levels. Just not that particular one.
I don`t really know what is wrong with that throw - at least not much. Sure, throwing off the back foot is not what you are supposed to do. But looking at that play, he extended the play, avoided the big hit, continued to look down field and threw a great ball. Awkward technique, sure, but he placed the ball where the defender had no chance to catch it while the wide receiver had a great chance. It looked like he knew he had the ability to place the ball where he wanted to.

Sure, he might have missed a read - but when bodies are flying at you, everybody misses a read, even Peyton. And he showed in the past that he is willing to take a big hit, but in this play it was the right thing to avoid it - not only for that game but also for his career.

So, even though there might be some minor nitpicks with that play - overall it was a great play. You want to see a QB being able to avoid pressure while keep looking down field and you want your QB to be able to deliver a great ball even when the pocket is collapsing and he can`t stand tall. Guys like Favre did it all the time. Teddy is a pocket passer first and foremost, but he is elite (for college QBs) in avoiding pressure and make things happen when the line collapses.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote