Thread: Mariota
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mariota Reconsiders Entering the Draft

After stating plans to return, Marcus Mariota requested NFL grade

Quote:
After releasing a statement Dec. 3 of his intentions to return to Oregon, the NFL Advisory Committee has since received Mariota's request for an evaluation, NFLDraftScout.com has confirmed.

According to Craig Pintens, Oregon's senior associate athletic director, Mariota requested his grade "the day after the Civil War." When asked today by Portland Sports Radio station 750 The Game if his plans had changed, Mariota said, "To clear any confusion, I'm very blessed and thankful to come back."

Regardless of the actual date Mariota requested his grade from the committee, what has become increasingly clear is that he made his statement without actually learning of his grade. Once he receives the grade -- expected to be a top 15 designation -- Mariota may have a harder time turning down the lure of an NFL paycheck.

It isn't difficult to understand why Mariota may want to consider leaving now. The strong-armed, highly athletic passer boasts a more exciting skill-set than any other quarterback potentially available in 2014, including Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated quarterback at this time.

"Why wouldn't he want to look into [coming out this year]?" one high ranking NFL source said on the condition on anonymity. "[Mariota] could be the first quarterback drafted this year. That may not happen next year."

Mariota passed for 3,412 yards and 30 touchdowns against just four interceptions in 2013. He also rushed for 582 yards and nine scores. Mariota didn't play as well down the stretch (four interceptions in last two games) after suffering an injury to his left knee against UCLA but ended the Ducks' regular season in fine form by guiding them to an impressive comeback over rival Oregon State in the Civil War.

Regardless of prior announcements made, underclassmen officially have until Jan. 15 to request early admission into the NFL draft.
I am a big Mariota fan and if he enters it makes the Texans' decision at #1 a tough one.