View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013   #366
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Found this on Reddit:

Quote:
TL;DR: He looks like he's got "it" in terms of coaching. Belichick definitely rubbed off on him, and his gameplanning style is the opposite of Kubiak's. Kubiak pretty much planned every week the same, either opting for a pass-heavy or run-heavy first half.

O'Brien's first move in a game plan is to thoroughly teach his offensive players about the defense they will be facing that week. Everything the defenses do, Their scheme, tendencies, everything. His players must be smart and he expects hard work. He tailors the offense around his players on a week to week basis. He'll even change player positions (One week a TE is "F", next week he's "Y", etc) to make the plan work around his players. After installing the game plan he gives his players a cheat sheet of sorts that has information on the game plan and on the defense they'll be facing. That gives each individual player something to study (I believe it's tailored for each individual player, but i'm not sure) and stay sharp on the game plan. A RB he coached at Penn State said that these cheat sheets helped immensely in that he knew when the opponent would choose to blitz, and so could block more effectively.

O'Brien comes from the Belichick school of accountability; If you're not getting it done, i will find someone that will right now. O'Brien loves TE's, and is responsible, IMO, for the rebirth of the two TE set with his work in New England. He will use smart TE's ****ing everywhere; blocking, RB, FB, WR, everything. (OD, GG, and RG, anyone?)

O'Brien culture-shifted Penn state in weeks. That school had the same culture and philosophy for 40+ years.

TL;DR;DR; In short, I love that McNair wants this guy more than anyone.

Edit: Oh, and i forgot to mention, O'Brien doesn't believe that second half adjustments are good enough. He believes if you're not done adjusting before the opponent's 3rd or 4th drive, it's probably too late to adjust effectively. Half time, To O'Brien, isn't long enough to do a full adjustment. He adjusts on the fly.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/comme...eal_of_obrian/

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote