View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013   #60
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Value of first pick in 2014 Draft for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I'd like to trade back - if the value is there. But studying the potential draft board, I don't see many possibilities.

I'd like to get two firsts out of a trade and the only teams which allows this are the Rams and the Browns. With the #2 pick it's unlikely the Rams will trade unless they absolutely want one particular player and are afraid that player will go at #1, either to the Texans or to a team the Texans trade with. The Browns are the only real possibility for a trade that allows us to get value.

The Browns could be drafting anywhere from about #4 to #9, depending on if they win or lose to the Steelers.

The Browns also have Pittsburg's third round pick in this coming draft.

Some reports say that Cleveland is targeting a QB in the first and the one they like is Carr. If this is accurate, and they are picking forth, it is unlikely they will be willing to trade. But if they lose to Pittsburg and slip down the board, and if they are dead set on a particular QB or some other player, they will likely be looking to trade up.

Another possibility is to trade for picks in the 2015 draft. Under this scenario, the value of the picks slip by one round; ie, a 2015 first is valued as a 2014 second.

So unless we trade for future picks, and getting a new HC makes this less likely, I don't see the value there this year unless the Browns are somehow involved.

PS: the only team with an extra second round pick, so far, is San Francisco and this is KC's pick. They will be picking so low and KC's pick will be so low, there really is no value in any trade scenario.
This is the time to OPENLY discuss the Texans interest in Carr as well as Bridgewater and Clowney. Make sure the team that desired that player knows they might not make it past Houston. The only way to assure the availability of the player is to trade picks. This is trade craft.

I believe this is why the Texans are making it clear that Bridgewater isn't necessarily their choice.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote