View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How can this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think that because you can't replace everyone at once, not with any realistic expectation of improvement at least we're going to see for ourselves whether Brooks Reed is as bad as his critics believe or the guy whose numbers are unimpressive because he's doing what his DC is asking him to do and doing it well.

Nothing against you IronDuke but I really hope you're wrong here and that JB is correct. We need every part possible to fit and work well next season. I hope to see Brooks Reed playing well under a new regime in 2014 because if he isn't then that's just one more need to add to the list.
Iron duke isn't wrong, the Texans tried to supplement/replace Reed(merci also) in the 2013 draft with Montgomery/Williams and neither worked out even to be a rotation type player with those, which I think was the low end goal of drafting two more OLBs when your projecting to start a 1st rounder and fairly high 2nd round at OLB.

Brooks Reed does not pass the eyeball nor actual production test. The "he sets the edge well" is "Kevin Walter blocks well" or "JJ Moses always catches the kick" of 2013. In a league where teams are passing 60% of the plays and where the player is in 3 point stance as de facto DE as much if not more than the listed OLB, that dude's main job is putting pressure on the QB.

And it is not like Reed is setting some standard at 'setting the edge' where teams refuse to run off-tackle or outside to the strong side of the Texans defense or anything.