View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013   #75
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Wouldn't we be in a worse position if we have to pay JJ, a former number one overall QB, and still haven't fixed the pass rush?

EDIT: That isn't to say we shouldn't take a QB first or not, just that worrying about that kind of thing shouldn't be a consideration at this point.
Well, if the QB deserves the big contract I'd say the Texans hit the jackpot. Paying two DE big money just doesn't sound like a good strategy for building a team. I think it's a stretch to say the pass rush wouldn't be fixed if Houston didn't draft Clowney. Kubiak and Wade both run out dated systems. The right coaching change could fix a lot of problems, including the pass rush. Who knows what a positive team morale could do since Kubiak and Schaub killed it.

If Houston had an encouraging situation at QB, I could get on the idea of Clowney even though I question his drive to be great. But that's not the case. Houston has absolutely no answer at QB. If they chase after a FA QB looking for his next pay day, it could blow up in their face putting them back even further. I am in no way comfortable with putting a band-aid over the QB problem. Draft the best one since you will probably never sniff a situation to draft the best one for years.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote