View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013   #7
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57330 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McGinn on 2014 NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Not so fast NastyNateMcGinn. He could fill two positions, OLB in a 3-4 or a WILL in a 4-3. Does not have enough sand in his pants to be a 4-3 or 3-4 DE, could fill Strong side OLB but why waste his speed should be on the right side. Have seen him flip to left side to stop the run & given what Buffalo has around him it was needed. Look, I really like Mack but only in specific roles. He would replace Mercilus, can get to the QB faster, has plus start & stop movements & instincts. However I doubt his speed will test out equal to say, Von Miller, but if he does that would put pressure on Barr who has better overall size. If the Texans where to trade down & my top three QB's were gone then yes I would consider him in the 5-7 range but at this time that is about as accurate as I can be.
I appreciate your opinion beerlover and always like your input on prospects as well. I never indicated him to be DE in either scheme we run. We have the worst OLB tandem in the NFL. It's a huge reason our run defense is consistently gashed (that along with a true DT if we continue to run a 34 defense). Mack helps to eliminate part of that problem. What that does with Mercilus on the roster I'm really not sure, maybe Mercilus comes off the bench, maybe we could get a 7th rounder for him just to soften his cap hit (I think it's still something like 1.9 million cap hit versus cutting him which would be around 3 million), maybe we cut reed to save a million against the cap and move Mercilus to strong side. We have to upgrade at that position, there's no way around it. QB, OLB, RT, NT, ILB, S, CB are our glaring needs. Problem is there's no real QB there that warrants 1-1 pick.

Top three QB's in this draft are nothing close to sure fire. I'm not spending 22 million on a very iffy qb class versus a sure fire pass rusher. Bridgewater and Manziel are too small to stay healthy behind this offensive line (offensive being the operative word). Bortles? No thanks. Mettenberger and McCarron will both be there in the second. That's the smarter play in my opinion. Hell even if we trade back to #4 or 5 for an extra second and next year's first I'm fine taking that deal, as there are no sure things in this draft. Reaching for a qb in this draft is worse than not taking a QB at 1-1.