View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013   #68
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Away AJ this off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
The Texans owe nothing to AJ IMO. We pay him a salary. If he didn't like being here, he wouldn't keep resigning with us.
I re-read my post and I never said anything about "owe".

As far as "we pay him a salary", no "we" don't. Bob McNair signs the checks, so he pays AJ a salary. And that same Bob McNair, the owner, has never wavered in his public comments regarding AJ. That is what my post was based on. The histories of both the player and the owner, which is why this thread is very talk radio-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Agreed. Although you never know what can develop in the off-season. He has an uncle who's been telling him to leave the Texans and join a consistent winning organization for a long time. There are people close to him not afraid to give him the brutal truth, and if he sees himself only having three or four more productive years why shouldn't he chase a Super Bowl ring while he still can?

The past two 12-4 and 10-6 seasons that have resulted in back-to-back wild card wins over the Bengals have helped, but this 2013 season has been a disaster to say the least. Andre Johnson is fed up with all of the losing and playing with mediocre quarterbacks and I don't blame him. If he asks to be traded then we should try and at least get the best deal offered. Which I'm thinking would be a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick. Not all that bad considering his age and great production. Keep in mind that wide receivers, especially his age, don't often bring back the type of value that you would expect.
Yeah, things can certainly change. If AJ decided that 11 years as a Houston Texan is enough and wanted to gracefully depart to another team for a chance at a ring, I would have to accept it for what it is. But, until then, I'm going to keep both feet in what we know about both the franchise and player.

Honestly, I would not blame AJ if he wanted to leave. Regardless of what McNair says, 2014 is a rebuild year. They can certainly experience success, but replacing a HC, coaching staff, and starting QB is not a "reload". AJ probably knows this, and looking at a finite number of years left in his career, he could decide to spend the rest of his productive years on a team that just needs a great WR to get over the hump. Imagine AJ catching Brady passes.