View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Value of first pick in 2014 Draft for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I am vey sure, that if we get the first pick we will either draft a QB or trade back. I can`t really see a scenario, in which we take Clowner, Barr or Matthews with the first pick.

You don`t have many options to get a franchise QB - so either you think that there is a QB that can be your franchise QB, then you take him. If you don`t, chances are high that someone else thinks, that Bridgewater is their guy - and they will pay a high price to get him.
The Texans must have a clear plan this off-season to address QB in the draft- And, they should necessarily plan and expect to overpay for him (in terms of where he is drafted)... BPA doesn't work when the team does not have a QB. Now, that doesn't mean they must take a QB with 1.1... Instead, they could trade down... Or, take someone else at 1.1 but have a clear plan and appealing plan B, to go get the guy they like later in the 1st round or in the 2nd...

Perhaps they love Mettenberger... And, in their mock drafts he went no higher than 23, as low as 67, with an average draft position of 40... On draft day, they need to have a plan that can get them into the early 20s, even if it is likely he falls to them at 33. That's what I mean by "overpaying". Fortunately, they have the power in the draft order and with a couple compensatory picks to execute any plan they would like without losing the opportunity to build talent and depth elsewhere on the roster.

Frankly, I am relieved that there is not a consensus #1... Sometimes, I think public opinion can have too much influence on a team that finds itself in a position like this... reassessing its organizational structure, its football philosophy, and also attempting to return excitement to the fan base... If there was ever a year for a non-activist owner like McNair to be tempted to make a force a draft pick for financial reasons, branding, etc... this would be that moment... Vince Young would be a Houston Texan this time around, I think.