View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013   #22
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NastyNate's mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
yeah, thanks for correction & should have said 5th or later. I was thinking Graham was a 5th (4th) and Griffin was actually a 6th. As the TE is played in Houston, I think Casey's last two seasons were very successful. My position is I would not take a TE before 5th.
This is not really a direct comment to you but more using your post as a segue to something else.

I really feel like TE is the most undervalued position in football. I'm afraid this might turn into an essay so I apologize if it does.

My offensive philosophy is to make the offense as multiple as possible to maximize opportunities to take advantage of defensive matchups. Being able to run a variety of formations and play types without ever substituting personnel. The key to this is the TE. I'll use the Patriots from the last few years as my example, because they run the closest thing to what I envision (sans this year obviously since Gronk has been injured all year and Hernandez...).

With Gronkowski and Hernandez, NE can run pretty much any play in the playbook on consecutive plays. They can line up in ACE with both players at TE. They can line up in the I with Hernandez at FB. Or they can line up in GUN 4 WR with both split out wide. Depending on who the defense has on the field, they can run or pass from whatever formation they want without having to sub.

This forces the defense to play a very bland, simple style. They can't risk going heavy to stop the run because you can go right into no huddle and spread them out. They also can't play nickel or dime too often or you will squeeze in and run it down their throat high tempo without letting them sub.

I realize this post has nothing to do with this thread. I've just been devising this system in my head ever since I saw Gronkowski play at Arizona. He's a TE that can run block like a third OT and catch passes like a third WR. I know those guys aren't a dime a dozen but I really feel like if you can find a similar player somewhere he can be a key piece of your offense.

Essay over.....for now.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote