View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013   #133
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachk View Post
I coached 17 years and ran a scouting service for 5 years. I have to be perfectly honest when I say Blake Bortles is the only "elite" quarterback in this draft if he chooses to come out. http://youtu.be/ayD9_uCz4K0
Ex NFL player and talent scout Bucky Brooks compares him to Nick Foles but likes his potential.

Quote:
Film Room: UCF's fast-rising Blake Bortles not elite QB
By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:03 p.m. Updated: Dec. 20, 2013 at 01:01 p.m

Conclusion
Bortles is an intriguing quarterback prospect with the desirable physical dimensions and talent to be a coveted player in NFL draft rooms. He has improved steadily throughout his career, and notched a few distinguished wins that will lead some evaluators to see him as a franchise-caliber quarterback. However, I believe it is important to keep his value in perspective when comparing him to the recent classes of quarterbacks that have produced the likes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. While each of the aforementioned players has endured a varying degree of struggles in the NFL, there wasn't any doubt about their talent or dominance at the collegiate level. They stood out on game tape and looked like Day 1 NFL starters (most didn't expect Wilson to be the star he has become, but most believed he was a natural leader and exceptional talent despite his diminutive dimensions).

Looking at Bortles on tape, I simply don't get those feelings. I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro.

When a scout is placing a grade on a prospect, he must take that potential into account, and I can't place a top-10 grade on a quarterback that is good, not great, at this time. Bortles strikes me as a prospect comparable to Nick Foles coming out of college. While Foles has exceeded expectations to this point of his career, the jury is still out on whether he will truly become a franchise quarterback. That's how I see Bortles, which is why I would grade him as a borderline first-round prospect at this point. He can start and win games in the NFL, but he will need some time to develop in the right system to become an impact player as a pro.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-bit-overhyped

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote