View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013   #147
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
AJ has been better over the course of his career than those guys I mentioned. That's not taking away from those guys at all. Any of them may have a season or even two that are arguably better than AJ, but none of them are as high in yards, yards/game, and catches as AJ over the course of a career. The only point to that is it's a pass happy era, but even within that framework, AJ has more yards, yards/game, and catches than his contemporaries in the same era. And he's done it with a significant part of his career being hurt by subpar QBs. AJ did better with Carr than Fitzgerald did with Leinart, for example, and Fitz is the best comparison to AJ.

As for the homerish comment, I've argued both sides of the AJ HOF debate, so neither side ever wants to believe what I type at various times LOL. So whatever.
It seems to me that you are only using yards as a barometer which makes AJ look better than a lot of guys in that respect. However, there are a ton of other things to measure a receiver by one of which is a stat that AJ lacks big time which is TD's. AJ has never gotten over 10 while several of these other guys we're discussing have done it routinely along with a lot of yards. Now a lot of that I'll admit was due to coaching with Capers and Kubiak's awful RZ plays that didn't feature AJ well. I think all of us have always believed that AJ's lack of TD's have not really been his fault and more on the coaching staff, but it doesn't change the fact of what his stats say in that category and his whole career of only playing in 4 playoff games between two seasons. I could pull of every stat sheet of those guys mentioned and probably break down a very sound argument for why each one of those WR's were better than the other or why they should be in the HOF, but the fact is that there will probably be several including AJ that don't get it at least for a very long time. I don't think AJ gets in for probably at least 15 years or so and it will have to be in a season where there aren't a ton of "first ballot" shoe in players. I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot that AJ ever gets in.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote