View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013   #123
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Lots of really good points here. And while I agree and have been saying the same thing, There is precedent for having a dominating defense as a way to win the big one.

Playing devils advocate here. Despite McNairs remarks that this should be a quick turnaround, a two year plan could be the wiser way to go.

There is a lot of talk of next years draft having more talented QB's. Would it be unreasonable to think that bolstering the defense in this draft and riding this year out with a vet QB could be the better plan in the long run?

For instance say we bring in a new DC who sticks with a 3/4. How would this make our defense look?
1.) Javedon Clowney DE South Carolina
2.) Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
3.) Shayne Skov LB Stanford

Let them grow together and go after our QB next year.
I'm still not sold on Clowney as a 3-4 OLB. I'm not saying he can't play it, but playing him there is not maximizing his talent and if you draft Donald then that's where he would be playing. With that said, there is no debate that he would be an upgrade over Mercilus.

Donald would thrive in our one-gap, penetrating front as a DE. He could easily replace Ninja.

I really like Skov, but not for the Texans. The injuries that he and Cushing have sustained have sapped their mobility. They are downhill LB's now that read gaps, flow to the ball, and make plays at the line of scrimmage. We need a guy that can run sideline to sideline and make plays in space. That's why I've been high on Mosley and Smallwood as a fit for the Texans.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote