View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013   #120
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really directed to you.

How many QBs are in the league right now you would consider franchise guys who were drafted after the top half of the 2nd round?

Brady - no doubt, frankly falls into the blind damn luck category.
Russell Wilson - sure looks like it so far.
Nick Foles - again, sure looks good so far.

Now how many have been drafted in that time period?

There have been 25 drafted in the bottom half of the 2nd or the 3rd in that time frame. Figured going all the way down to the 6th would be goofy. That's 2 out of 25.

The drop off in waiting a round has to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Great post and that's exactly what I've been trying to explain for the past 2 weeks.

Can you find a franchise QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Yes. But the odds are nowhere near as good as the 1st round. Talk about 1st round busts all you want, but the success rate is far higher for 1st round picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Geno Smith was OLads highest graded player last years draft. I would grade Bridgewater, Bortles & Manziel as better pro prospects. IF Texans do not get one of those three I believe they've wasted an opportunity to grab their franchise QB. Therefore if you feel good about all three I would consider trading down but not past the "3" spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There has to be one of those guys in the draft for that to happen ..... Im not sold on the fact that there is one.

If you take one anyhow and he's a bust .... there will be ALL PRO's and ProBowlers taken behind that bust of a QB .... Tell me again that's BPA !!

(that's a hypothetical post)

Lots of really good points here. And while I agree and have been saying the same thing, There is precedent for having a dominating defense as a way to win the big one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You have to take the player that is going to help your franchise the most. Not the top ranked nationally media darling du jour.

If that is a qb then awesome. If not, that is awesome also. Go pick a Watt and not an Okoye
Playing devils advocate here. Despite McNairs remarks that this should be a quick turnaround, a two year plan could be the wiser way to go.

There is a lot of talk of next years draft having more talented QB's. Would it be unreasonable to think that bolstering the defense in this draft and riding this year out with a vet QB could be the better plan in the long run?

For instance say we bring in a new DC who sticks with a 3/4. How would this make our defense look?
1.) Javedon Clowney DE South Carolina
2.) Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
3.) Shayne Skov LB Stanford

Let them grow together and go after our QB next year.