Thread: Kiper 2014
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Barr, to me, is everything you want in an OLB: natural pass rushing ability, speed, and comfortable in coverage. I don't think we would be so hampered if we somehow ended up with him over Clowney (whom I would prefer). Clowney, on the other hand, is that rare combination of speed and power that isn't some workout warrior, either. Due to his size, he could start at OLB and perhaps transition to 3-4 DE along with Watt once he gained about 14 pounds. I'd really recommend looking at at Brett Kollmann's analysis of Clowney in the bone spur discussion thread.
I really don't like Clowney at 3-4 end. That's a position that requires constant grinding and effort throughout a game. You also have to be technically sound all game with your hands and you can't wear down. You can't get frustrated because you are constantly fighting two lineman or aren't having a huge impact on the game early on. These are all weaknesses of Clowney's game. I don't see him being as effective as Smith in that role and certainly not near as effective as Watt. I would honestly take Jernigan over Clowney if I was looking for a 3-4 end. But neither are worth the #1 pick in that role. Jernigan isn't worth the #1 in any role, although he is a good player.

At 3-4 OLB, I don't see him as a impact speed rusher. I think he could probably power rush and set the edge from that spot, but is that really worth the #1 pick? How much of an impact on the game will he have at that spot? Is it enough for the #1 pick and potentially a Mario sized contract later on? We already got rid of Mario, who is pretty much in the same mold.

I see him as a 4-3 end, similar to Mario or Pierre-Paul. If we go 4-3, Clowney is the better choice over Barr.

With Barr in a 3-4, you get exactly what you've described. He's quick off the edge and can really be difficult to handle. He's an ex-fullback and shows off his leverage when power rushing and in run defense. His zone coverage is adequate, he won't make many game changing plays there, but he's not going to be slow to the ball, actually quite the opposite. Regardless, he should be rushing most if not all the time. He also can move around some on stunts or free-roaming, much more so than Clowney. When you watch his tape he gets into the middle quickly on stunts and often goes unblocked because OL can't switch fast enough to contain his speed.

Barr also chases plays relentlessly. He'll chase a quick running back down from behind, especially when he doesn't start the play off positively. He's accustomed to playing that way, so you are most likely going to see the same habits when he gets to the NFL, which is always a plus.

I'm not trying to explain the guy as if you don't know him, just dumping my opinion on him here after I watched a bunch of his games on www.draftbreakdown.com. I love Barr, I think he is worth the #1 pick if we are sticking to the 3-4.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote