View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013   #75
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I get all of that. Bet you seem to missing the point that you take the BPA on the board, no matter what the position is.

Answer me this. Why would you want to risk reaching for a QB with the 1st overall, if you think Rick Smith is as bad as you say he is? Why would you want to reach for a player at all with the 1st pick?
You seem to be missing the point where I never said you had to take BPA no matter what the position is. That may be your draft philosophy, but it's not mine and I wouldn't advocate it because no one would ever follow that 100% of the time anyways. You have to be able to weigh BPA vs Need and find a happy-medium.

Who said it had to be a QB at 1-1? I'd rather have Jadaveon Clowney, a top notch freak athlete pass-rushing prospect, than a RT (be it Matthews or Lewan or whomever). If Bridgewater grades out as a top 5 pick, and is expected to be a franchise NFL QB, then yeah, I'd take him. Why reach a few picks for a RT, when you can reach about the same relative amount of draft slots for a QB?

I don't really care if someone has the QB rated as a 92, but 4 other players are rated a 93-95. The QB position trumps all in this era of the NFL. If he's your guy, you take him, whether the draftniks think he should be the 1st pick, 10th pick, or 50th pick. It's only a "reach" based on a bunch of peoples projections at this point, but if the guy works out, then in retrospect it won't be a reach, and it won't really matter. It's even more of a gamble to trade back a few picks, expecting your guy to be there, only to have him taken a slot ahead of you because you got cute with the draft board projections.

We still have a lot of evaluating to go, but regardless of what these guys do in the combine, I think taking a RT in the top 20 is a waste. We need a QB or pass rusher with our first pick, there are plenty to grade and evaluate before we settle on one. Those are the two premium positions in this league, and what I think we should be spending our highest pick on.