View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't care what the scheme is, you don't take a RT at 1-1..
Can you guarantee Teddy & Clowney won't be busts? At this early point, I'd gauge that both have a significant bust potential compared to Matthews. I'd rather have the guy who's filling his spot nicely in 3 years versus a guy like Sam Bradford who I was "supposed" to draft in that slot but has you thinking about replacing him 3/4 years later.

If you don't think RT was important to Kubiak's offense this year you weren't watching Derek Newton*. Maybe RT will be less important in the new OC's offense, but I doubt it...

Examining Pressure: Are Left Tackles Overvalued?
Quote:
Final Word

There’s a lot to digest here, but it can be summed up rather quickly. The right tackle should no longer be viewed as the athletic inferior to the left tackle and teams should change their team-building strategy to make this happen. Today’s passing NFL makes it a necessity to have two competent pass protectors on the edge and when scouting players, if a tackle is deemed to not be good enough to play left tackle, well you’re better off just putting him at guard rather than exploiting him at right tackle. There’s no hiding — defensive coordinators will find him.
* Derek Newton is rated 71st/78 OTs overall and 74th/78 in pass protection. (>25% snaps) by PFF.

I get the whole draft value argument, but I'd rather avoid Amobi Okoye over slot value. And I personally think RTs are pretty important pieces. At this point, though, it's all guesses on top of guesses imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote