View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013   #17
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007's Top 5 by Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The silver lining of this disastrous season is right here... Given that our offensive struggles (from a personnel standpoint) this year is almost entirely the result of poor play at QB and RT, it is awfully encouraging that there are 10-11 QBs and 7-8 OTs in this draft that can make arguments for 1st round draft grades. Given that we are likely to have 2 of the 1st 33 picks, that sure is encouraging!

I am not saying that there are 11 QBs coming out that should go in the 1st round!... only that the depth is very good- the best QB depth I recall, potentially since the Marino/Elway/Eason.... I anticipate that much will change by the end of the combine. I share concerns that the murkiness of who should be ranked the #1 QB indicate could be a sign that none of these guys are a true, lights out, elite prospect. I would wager, though, that in three years at least 3 of these guys are top half of the league starters and a solid number of the group have flashed and/or are still coveted as the future or as trustworthy and valuable depth by their team.

Personally, I feel pretty good about Bridgewater. Still, though, my favorite scenario would be a 1st round trade down and accumulation of picks... Then, grabbing one of (Mettenberger/Bortles/Carr) later in the 1st and then getting (Murray/McCarrons/or Boyd) with a 3rd round pick... Meanwhile, using the extra picks to get one of the top offensive tackles and then a BPA defensive player... Something like:

(trade #1 overall for #12, #44, #76 and a pick in 2014)

12. Jace Amaro (TE)
33. Mettenberger (QB)
44. Greg Robinson (T)
65. Yawin Smallwood (LB)
76. A. Murray (QB)

129 (4th compensatory).
164. (5th compensatory)

So, we could have two QB prospects competing and pushing each other (not obsessed with those two guys, specifically)... Have a RT, quality LB to line up next to Cushing in 3-4 or play SLB, probably, in a 4-3, and a stud TE (making it easier to cut OD and save $6 million on this year's cap for free agent help)...

Then, we'd still have 6 picks before pick #200... That seems like the potential for dramatically altering the structure of the roster and building depth, athleticism and addressing needs.
If the Rams can get 3 - #1's for their #2, I am NOT OK with anything that doesn't at least come close to that. And seeing our history of constant failures in rounds 2-6 I am not impressed whatsoever with that scenario thrown out there.

Also, I find it hard to believe that any new coach would spend 2 picks in the first 3 rounds on a QB. This is assuming they want to make it (the new team image) their own as many seem to do.

I like and respect the work you've put into this though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote