View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rusher or QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.
The first pick has to be a solid starter for several years with probable pro bowl invites. Matthews imo has fewer risks than almost any player including Barr and all QBs. Can we trade down and still get a good tackle, sure but cannot we say the same about most other positions also?

The history of Texans drafting is usually to select a player who can play more than one position. Matthews should be able to play four of five and maybe center, as did his dad who had five years as a pro bowl center. I think Jake is closer to a franchise type player than any of the other projected first rounders. You cannot always look at the dad and see how the son will do but the Matthews have done pretty well going back to Clay Matthews Senior.