View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
The fact that Rick Smith apparently has a job here in 2014 tells me Boob McNair still doesn't get the word accountability and still is a settler for mediocrity and that he desires yes men. And mediocrity is what he'll get.

Who was the one that said Case would be starting? Wasn't Rick Smith. Shouldn't the GM be making that call at that point in time? He comes off publicly as a hands off owner, but I think that utterance gives us a glimpse of the behind the scenes stuff that is happening and I think he is basically the de facto GM of this team. Rick Smith is nothing but a puppet and the one area that he is in charge of - Cap management - he is a failure.

Nothing personal with Rick Smith who is a by all accounts a good Christian and a good guy, but he needs to go. This team needs an enema, and McNair wants to throw some pepto bismol down the gut and hope that is enough. It isn't.
GM's around the league do what owners tell them to do. Lets not be too hasty to brand Rick Smith a "puppet" like he's the only one. they're all puppets to some degree. Some owners think they know it all and their puppet does what he's told. Other owners stand back and let their GM do everything but if they want something I seriously doubt that they're in danger of hearing the word "No" from anyone who wants to keep his job.

I think that 8 years ago McNair probably delegated damn near everything to Gary who delegated what he didn't want to deal with to Rick. That's what I think. I don't really know but I bet that the parts of the GM job Gary wanted stayed with Gary and Bob was fine with that because he didn't know much about the football side of things and he knew that he didn't.

Today I see McNair as being like that guy in the Progressive Insurance commercial who's trying to get the dude juggling chainsaws to throw him one. Bob's stepping up and saying "I got this. Throw me one!" except in this case the guy juggling chainsaws is Rick and he's got no real say in things.

We're going to find out what Bob's learned (Please let him have learned something! Please!) and whether Rick's got any ability as a GM now. The guy who was really keeping those chainsaws in the air (to the extent that they were "in the air") is gone.