View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
I don't have a problem with cap management. "We" made an assumption 4 years ago about the future valuation of the cap & things didn't unfold in our favor. If they had, no telling how good this team could be. Considering the situation he's in, I think he's doing the best he can.

But I do agree with you about FAs, trades, & just "connected" to the NFL. He seems to be the most disconnected GM in the whole league. He has no idea what other players are signing for..... Laron Landry would have been a great acquisition, Dumerville did not break the bank & when we struck out on RT this past offseason, Jacksonville makes a nice trade to acquire one.

& Demeco.... did we even try to talk him into taking less money?

Then the draft picks. I don't have a problem taking a flyer every now & then, but if we're going to try to get half the picks on the practice squad, why don't we try to trade those picks for future picks?

His picks are good to fair. A few special picks in there. He's probably doing just as good as anyone out there. However... I don't think he does a good job at all as far as moving in the draft to get the player he wants. We're either going to sit there & take the highest graded player on our list, or drop down, try to get him later, or take who ever is next on our list.

Now, we did move up in the 2nd to get Brandon Harris & I thought that was a big boy move, but..... the guy seldom sees the field.