View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

I think the team is talented, probably more so than many here do but I also think that "talent" by itself isn't enough for most players. It's easy to find guys who are tall enough, fast enough, strong, enough, or big enough. It's hard to find guys who have that and who can also self-motivate and/or play consistently. I think we have a lot of guys in NFL "bodies" who don't have NFL minds or NFL mindsets. I don't know that there's much a coach can do about that. You can give them a system that doesn't make them think too much (where have we heard this before) but it will eventually be exposed as will those players.

You probably have some of those guys on every NFL team with very few exceptions but being unable to recognize them for what they are is a problem with a GM.

We've got a team (and quite likely that's on the GM) that can't find those guys and the only way we're going to be long-term successful is to go out and find those guys. The good teams do it every year. Those guys don't last. they don't have HoF careers. They just come in when needed and use their heads and their "high motor" for lack of a better term to overcome their physical limitations. You gotta have those guys on the roster. We have frauds at too many positions not contributors. We have guys all over our roster that often play like people who don't know what they're doing. Look how unprepared the Texans appear much of the time. That means either that they are being coached poorly or they're incapable of doing what they've been taught outside of a predictable practice environment.

Are we to believe that all of our coaches can't teach? We're in a situation where nobody comes here and gets better. When did you last see or hear of a team where nobody ever gets better? Great players come here and stay great. I think Watt is Watt on any team in the league. Same with AJ and even probably Foster. Those guys have NFL-ready minds. They can motivate themselves. There are others but we seem to luck into them past round one. The rest of the picks are kind of a crapshoot.