View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013   #109
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Your Trade the 1st Pick for Rg3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You said all pro OL. I gave you benefit of the doubt and included pro bowl.

You're the one playing games.
McKinnie - 1st round quasi-bust brought in as an aged vet. Hardly a serious investment. Didn't start a game last season - the SB one.
Birk - never an All Pro. Another aged vet, this one formerly a very good C but well past those days.
Oher - yes investment of a 1st akin to the Texans much more successful investment in Brown.

The Texans have invested as much in the OL as Baltimore.

San Francisco has invested more. Of course that was by the GM and HC they found to be unsatisfactory and fired rather than the GM and HC who have them SB contenders.

Pssst, the round a player is in and whether they were in the pro bowl/all pro (which you brought up as the standard) are both facts/stats so spare me the lame "stats" as a derogatory argument. Putting aside the departed GM and HC, the best example you have for your argument is San Fran and none of their guys were picked top 10 - they were 11, 17 and 28. They don't support the Texans burning 1.1 on OL to match their investment. I am not arguing with you just to argue. I disagree with spending a top 10 pick on the OL because I do not believe it will upgrade as much as other positions which will also be available. If you were arguing for moving back up into the bottom of the 1st if necessary to get a RT I would be right there with you.
Birk was an aging but smart leader of the Ravens OL. 6 time pro bowler.

McKinnie made the Pro Bowl in 2010 I think and although out of shape upgraded the Dolphins OL. He was traded to the Dolphins (Out of shape again) where their OL has gotten much better despite losing Martin and Incognito they are still in the running for a wildcard spot. I'm not saying McKinnie is a decent human being, but sometimes you have to dance with the devil if you want to win.

I agree with you about not taking an OL 1-1 especially in this draft. I would take Matthews in the 5-10 range after trading down.

I know you were a big MW guy. I think Clowney is an even better player. What do you think about Clowney 1-1. No to Bridgewater, IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote