View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach. I don't know of a single NFL coach who has ever had to go out and recruit his roster. They draft them and seeing a coach make his predecessors players work well is in my opinion a plus. Coaches have massive input when it comes to drafting players granted but they also have much more insight into what they're looking at as well as input from scouts and front office personnel. As long as they're drafting players without being the only guy in the room with input I'm comfortable with it.

If he can coach then that's what we're looking for. The law of averages says that sooner or later one of these Belichick guys is going to meet expectations. Why can't that guy be Bill O'Brien?
Agreed.

I see this with both Shaw and O'Brien. Who recruited what players (or how well the coach does at recruiting) is wholly irrelevant to the job an NFL coach has. The NFL doesn't recruit (in the same sense a college coach does) at all and, further, talent acquisition is mostly on the GM (or should be). What I want to know about O'Brien is how well he can motivate players and coaches, how well he can build a staff, how well he can scheme for opponents, how innovative he can be and how well he can adjust on the fly.

My only reservation with O'Brien is the Patriot stigma. He does have a great reputation, though.