View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013   #131
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
My heart agrees with you, but my brain says it's gotten much tougher for WR's since the NFL became a pass-dominant league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And while it is a pass dominant lead, the same thing was said in the '80's when the rules for protecting QBs and making it a more pass friendly league were being implemented. I vividly remember the 49ers taking a lot of flak because they played "finesse" football and were often accused of being scared to get hit. Now we look in hindsight and see a dominant dynasty, but at the time, there was a lot of criticism from the old guard.
Some of what we have talked about in this thread norms for the different time periods, particularly how many times did someone lead the league for a season in receptions, yards, TDs, ypg. Failing to do that points towards accumulated stats and away from being the best of their era so is relative to the time period. So for example, some of the guys commonly talked about as log jamming AJ:

Tim Brown led the league in 1 category in 1 season in a 17 year career.
Isaac Bruce 1 in 16 seasons.
Andre Reed 0 in 16 seasons.
Reggie Wayne 1 in 13 seasons.

A higher group:
Tory Holt 4 in 11 seasons.
Terrell Owens 4 in 15 seasons.
Randy Moss 5 in 16 seasons.
Marvin Harrison 6 in 13 seasons.

AJ 8 in 11 seasons.

and

The GOAT 20 in 21 seasons.