View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013   #128
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Two halves to the answer.

The rule of thumb on valuing future draft picks was made up by Jimmy Johnson and the other developers and early users of the chart. The principle is common sense, a 1st now is worth more than next year just like $5 would be. So you could haggle over how much but that's the rule of thumb.

Mid round was me simply because I think draft order on teams at the extremes in the draft order changes a lot year to year. So if I am evaluating #6 this year's future picks I am not going to assume they will be that high next year in considering the future picks. By the same token I wouldn't assume say last year's 32nd pick was going to stay there and would assume it moves toward the middle as well. Again you could haggle over how much but for ease today I put it right in the middle. It doesn't change things much if you move them to #12 instead of #16.
Okay thanks for clarifying. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not a huge fan of the value chart, but I do think it's useful when it comes to mega-deals such as this one because we really have no other tool to measure with.

Obviously I value future picks at a higher value than most people seem to. I will say though that the Rams basically traded Robert Griffin for Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Alec Ogletree, and whoever they draft with the Redskins pick this year (likely top 5). I won't say they won that trade. But I don't think they lost either. If they can turn that pick into a QB then I would consider then a clear winner.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote